Blue Dragon Sea Slug

I’m working on a post I’m anxious to have done, so I’ll just quote the photo’s description on Flickr:

my brother and i found one of these guys floating in a rockpool the other day, looking for all the world like a little blue chinese dragon. i’d never seen anything like it and i had absolutely no idea what it was at first. but i applied my considerable (ahem) natural history talents and came up with an answer – turns out it IS a blue dragon, a pelagic sea slug which floats about the ocean on its back (that’s it’s belly and foot you’re looking at) feeding on blue bottles. so very cool, is it not?

Via Doubtful Guest’s Flickr photostream!

(I apologize for the site’s weird behavior as of late. It’s probably not the greatest idea to play around with settings on a live site! I will perform a minor software update tonight, then post a (arguably major) project I’ve been working on.)

10 comments ↓

#1 mia on 12.16.08 at 8:13 pm

This was a very interesting passage, though it was written 9 months ago. But I wish I knew more about it, like where it came from, etc.

#2 Cindy on 03.08.09 at 8:20 pm

I found several of these washed up on shore the other day and scooped one up in a shell with a little water int it. Did you know thatthey can also squirt out small amounts of dye like squid and octopus do? At least this one did when I had him on the shell.

Anyway, this thing was to cool and so out of this world beautiful in a wierd way.

#3 P-Dog on 06.14.09 at 9:04 am

Some more information:

These guys are highly poisones! They eat Portuguese-Man-o’War and use their prays’ stinging cells for their own defense and hunting! They have both male and female parts and lay their eggs in “strings”. They were discovered in 1777 and were named after the Roman god of the sea Glaucus.

#4 hannah on 10.26.09 at 8:54 am

freak

#5 Grace on 01.11.12 at 8:24 am

That is Awsomee!!!!

#6 Shirley on 04.16.12 at 8:47 pm

I intently fell in LOVE with these little things! When I can possibly get one or 2 or 3…ok alot more then that I will love to show them off. Ther cute and beautiful.

#7 Jason on 09.12.12 at 4:18 pm

Where can i get one of these??? A lot of things that come from australia cant come into america. Like the Dingo. They are illegal here. But i really want one of these Blue Dragon Sea Slugs! Please let me know

#8 alisha edwards on 12.26.12 at 4:35 am

This creature can sting u as they eat the blue bottles n collect their sting too n they swim upside down they are blue n sliver this creature is called Glaucus atlanticus I researched it up on Google as I wanted to know what this creature was as I have never seen them. N learn a bit more about them creatures

#9 Frances on 02.20.13 at 12:38 am

were can i get one? they are so cool and very interesting.

#10 september on 03.16.13 at 2:34 pm

I like how people see something like this and automatically want one for a pet without knowing anything about it. Yea it’s cool but think about it… let’s grab all these little creatures up so people can have them, until they’re all gone and extinct. That’s why there isn’t anything cool left on this planet. That’s why are planet is dying. That’s why we have as many problems as we do. Humans are really dumb most the time!